Handwriting practice in the salt tray has been working for our family. My kindergartener practices writing letters and numbers and and we’ve just introduced a few sight words. My 10-year-old does cursive writing practice and writes his spelling words in the salt tray. The delicious smelling gingerbread spices and the texture of the salt make this a great sensory writing experience. We have both our candy cane salt tray and our gingerbread one out on the table this week.
Use the salt tray for…
- practicing handwriting or cursive writing skills
- pre-writing strokes for toddlers and young preschoolers
- spelling words for older kids
- sight words for new readers
- a sensory play tray with scoops or little cars or animal toys