Easy Lunch Recipes for Kids : Tortellini Meatball Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
This quick and delicious soup is one of our family’s favorite lunches to make on days that we are home, and makes a fast and tasty dinner for evenings when we are short on prep time. There are more easy lunch recipes for kids coming on Creekside Learning. Be sure to follow the Creekside Learning Facebook Page or our main Pinterest board so you don’t miss any of these great recipes.
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package cheese tortellini
- 1.5 cups meatballs (mini meatballs or whole meatballs cut into quarters)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Boil water for tortellini. Cook tortellini according to package directions and drain.
- In a separate pot, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Add shredded carrots.
- Sprinkle dried oregano.
- Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until carrots are tender.
- Add meatballs and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, to heat meatballs, a bit longer if they were frozen.
- Put tortellini in a bowl and ladle the soup over top.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese.
- If you make meatballs from scratch, make a batch of miniature meatballs and freeze. They are great for soups like this, or for a fun meal for kids with pasta and sauce. No mini meatballs? No worries. You can use regular sized meatballs (in the frozen foods section of the grocery store) and cut them into quarters for this recipe.
- You can also throw in some diced celery, frozen or fresh peas, and greens, such as kale, if you want to increase the veggie content of this soup.
We usually serve this soup with a side of fruit and a chunk of crusty bread.
For more healthy recipes, check out the Feed My Family! Pinterest board.